Friday, March 01, 2013

On the way to the white stuff

Friday and we get up early to get to Dover port as today we are on the way to France to go skiing. We head south and stop at South Mimms services. Normaly we stop at the Theftford ones but last time the service was pants so we stopped a little earlier let the 8am to 9am traffic go by whilst we had breakfast and then continued.

I think you might be interested in this track: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=206636201117357774410.0004d783c25ca627c5578 Created by Google My Tracks on Android. Name: 01/03/2013 13:19 Activity type: - Description: - Total distance: 559.18 km (347.5 mi) Total time: 6:18:30 Moving time: 5:44:21 Average speed: 88.64 km/h (55.1 mi/h) Average moving speed: 97.43 km/h (60.5 mi/h) Max speed: 199.00 km/h (123.7 mi/h) Average pace: 0.68 min/km (1.1 min/mi) Average moving pace: 0.62 min/km (1.0 min/mi) Fastest pace: 0.30 min/km (0.5 min/mile) Max elevation: 731 m (2398 ft) Min elevation: 0 m (0 ft) Elevation gain: 2319 m (7608 ft) Max grade: 58 % Min grade: -63 % Recorded: 01/03/2013 13:19

We arrive at Dover an hour early as there was little traffic to contend with and as I had brought a flexi ticket we were put on the next ferry, in ten minutes, which was great as it would give me more day light hours to drive in when in France.

With ten minutes to wait I pop in the French Sat Nav CD and ponder what will happen?

We are boarded and parked near the lift, we head on up to the deck area for a relax.

I can’t say I seen the super ferry they have around for a while and so once more we are on the Pride of Kent.

Before you know it we are in France and ready to disembark.

We are signalled to leave the boat and enter France. We are off to the BP garage in the village center. Although we have a surprise as the back quick nip street is being dug up. Luckily the Sat Nav has engaged and is directing us there.

Fuelled up and ready to go we start the long journey with all that French scenery.

The ancient DX sat nav system appears to work better on the French AutoRoute's than back in Britain. That though didn’t really surprise me. And it kept up with where we where even though the roof sensor is well and truly covered up by the roof box.

We have a comfort stop to use our legs, get refreshed and use the toilet.

The miles pass by whilst I listen to queen.

As we come up to Reims to pay the first big toll I knew what was about to happen.

The sat nav was going to get excited as we travel along the newish western bypass whilst it thinks we are driving though fields.

I have a relax whilst my dad drives for a while.

Then we swap back at another pit stop.

Before you know it we arrive at the Ibis in Dole.

We decide to eat in the restaurant there, and what a wise choice it was, although little english was spoken. Perhaps the funniest part of the meal was when my dessert came but I hadn’t even had my main course. I did try to point this out to them and things were corrected with a smile.

Da Dar you see my main course came. And yeas my brother did eat.

See.

A beer with the meal and then to bed on the wonderful Ibis beds I sleep well.





--------------------------



"Nowhere Near The End Of the Rainbow"
contains information that is non-accurate, made up and in some cases just down right lies. Anything in this blogg may be based on true fiction but to help dramatise it, some items may have been embellished. Some names are made up, others are not and any that are familar to yours just are.



--------------------------











 

NackUK HOME

NOWHERE

 Near The End Of The Rainbow

An account of something that may one day turn out to be wonderful.......