Sunday, May 26, 2013

The walk of life

To see the lovely photos click the image above.

I wake up, get changed and put the kettle on and have some breakfast, muesli.

Off to the facilities for a wash and shower.

Now the walk we are going on is Map 06 and our campsite O7. So I try to read the map and put it on my head where to go. Then I only need one map.

We tidy up and I have convinced my brother we will walk to where the walk starts as its such a nice day for it.

Which is now going to sound a bit odd, as when we reach the bottom of the camp site I turn to him and suggest that at 1000m we might need our jackets afterall. We look at each other and decide this is a good thing. We turn around and go back to the tent and get our jackets.

By this time I’ve also forgotten where the path starts. Anyway we got down the track over te hump back bridge.

and out onto the road and turn left. Well its not here but this is the right direction.

It pretty obvious that in fact we shouldn’t be by the road but way over there somewhere in the green stuff. We go through a gate to start wandering over the fields in the general direction noting that we will at some point need to recross the river.

We wander through some boulders along what looks like a path.

Hold on we come to a sign. These are no normal boulders oh no these are the Langdale Boulders we have stumbled on.

Well in that case if their of that much importance we’d better get a photo next to them.

We leave them behind making our way across the green lush fields full of sheep.

Well where we are going looks a long long way away. And we haven't even got to that path yet.

Ah someone is descending the easy way.

Rob I’m sure we’ll be alright if we go this way. Just think of a way to cross the river.

Ah a better track to follow.

And through a gate

which luckily leads over the river by a bridge.

We are at last on the right track and it looks like we have nearly done a full circle to near the campsite.

We wander off in the right direction.

enjoying the countryside and warmth.

We catch some others up, which means we are at least going in the right direction.

ah hills in the distance.

and some way off yet.

Through a farm

and across that river again.

and into a car park.

So this is Stickle Ghyll and here we use the toilets.

Well I was told to walk to the back of the building and find a wall to follow.

So we walked to the back of the building and carried on going.

and going

 

and going

and going up.

and you know what.

We found a wall.

although this wall wasn’t the right wall and this became obvious to us when you looked down and could see another wall that headed west into the distance now below us.

So all that climb up I made my brother do meant we had to climb down!

And now following the right path along the right wall.

Which leads to another path which follows another wall.

And this path goes on and on.

Like i said on and on.

although the occasional sheep make for a nice change

This path does go on for a while and my brother realises that we are going to have nothing left to talk about soon.

I can’t wait to climb something soon but we’re not going up there.

Come on will you I shout to him.

No doubt he is excited about getting to the end of this path as I am.

Well here we are the end of that path.

and we come to a choice of paths. We want the one going left.

We go over the little foot bridge.

ad now the climb starts.

I

Looking back at the view.

Good golly its steep, can we rest for a while.

The only way is up

up and guess what's coming …..up

Yes more up

And I can confirm that it is steep.

And it takes it out of me too.

Looking back once more we have come from over there.

My brother slowly catches up

I think we’re nearly at the top.

maybe

I rest again myself.

and then get those legs moving once more.

I know he’s enjoying it really.

That must be the top.

Come on not far now brother.

Hold on it gets steeper here.

How much more of this is there?

erm Not much..

Look a cairn

Why here though?

Never the less a picture opportunity

Bum to your pictures I want to sit down.

No sitting allowed until we are at the tarn – and then we will have dinner.

Lets move it, move it

It just never ending upwards

Sure is, look where we have come from.

I don’t want to look. How do you keep going?

Well you know what's over this hill

That Angle Tarn.

And so we make our way down to the tarn.

across the stepping stones

I look for a nice place to sit down.

And this will do.

Are you sure its wet here.

Its wet everywhere.

Looks like we are not the only ones having dinner here.

The travel everywhere bag comes out.

Dah Dar dinner will be served soon.

Good because I’m starving.

Me to. There is change in temperature and we put our extra cloths on and jackets.

The clouds tumble over the peaks.

And I decide to change the plan. I think instead of heading into the clouds well head away and do a big circle, so no more up hills. We’ve come 600 odd meters up you know.

Yep you can’t miss me in my red jacket.

and off we go.

Off course I know where we are going.

Well as long as you do.

Well we not going that way.

Are you sure about this?

Look blue skies this way, onwards.

And we head off east.

I look back at where we had planned to go, yep this is a better idea.

This isn’t a path.

believe me it is on this map.

what kind of path are we following exactly?

A path path.

so where has this path gone then?

I don’t know but those mountain bikers are following us.

If we just keep going this way

we will eventually get to the Cumbria Way

The paths here somewhere

Hold it look at this view.

Mind blowing

I’d rather find the path personally.

Look the sun is there and east is there. We are fine. Look I’m a sun dial!

Ah the edge of hill and we can see once more where we originally came from down the valley.

Right here's a path

I told you to relax.

Where you going now?

As it says on the map…

a pile of stones!

I can’t believe he has brought me all this way to see a pile of stones - huh

Yikes the clouds are coming.

LEt get down this path to the bottom of the valley again.

oh tadpoles and lots of them.

now thats lost.

Down down down.

and more tadpoles in the water.

There must be loads of frogs here at some point in the year.

The paths going the right way.

The sooner we are down the better.

Don’t go so quickly you forget to take in the view.

Home is that way, far far far away, but luckily in this galaxy.

I can’t go no further.

Well blow me!

Wait until he gets to the flat bit!

long foot in front of the other that's all I’ve got to do.

You’ll be please to know I’ve definitely got a big blister.

Right back at the junction.

Time for a snack.

Erm interesting reading.

Back at the footbridge

and onto the level land.

All we got to do is walk walk walk.

is do the walk of life.

Well their slowly getting away from us and we have very little water left.

Back tot he wall a good sign.

And down the path

I’m glad we drank all that water in one way as it was sodding heavy.

ah the sheep

that it then nearly there.

Nearly where?

The pub.

This way

yep across this field.

and this one

and another

ah thank god.

Back at Stickle

Well there still a fair way to go to the camp site.

I think a couple of pints and some dinner, otherwise I might die here too.

This was a good idea actually.

I know and it means I can do some post card writing whilst we wait the hour they said it was going to take to prepare and cook

burger and chips

and steak and ale pie. Ah so so so nice.

Well we’d better get on with the final bit.

Well at least it will be shorter than getting here.

I guess so but its not going to feel it.

somewhere around the corner….

is a view of a

tree.

Not far now surely.

ah more sheep

Guess what I can see?

Ah BaysBrown farm and campsite

Not there yet though

You see we should have gone left not right when we set out form the campsite.

Back thankgod.

Ah how cute.

and finally we are back.

Well you go for a shower I’m getting straight in bed. Aren't the new Dutch neighbours going to keep you awake with all that noise. I doubt it and I’m putting my ski jacket over my legs tonight.

And with that I was asleep 17 miles and a lot of hours latter, Scare fell Pike had not been conquered.

I think you might be interested in this track: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=206636201117357774410.0004de09def38c547f651 Created by Google My Tracks on Android. Name: 26/05/2013 11:30 Activity type: - Description: - Total distance: 21.40 km (13.3 mi) Total time: 8:23:12 Moving time: 8:09:29 Average speed: 2.55 km/h (1.6 mi/h) Average moving speed: 2.62 km/h (1.6 mi/h) Max speed: 10.00 km/h (6.2 mi/h) Average pace: 23.52 min/km (37.8 min/mi) Average moving pace: 22.88 min/km (36.8 min/mi) Fastest pace: 6.00 min/km (9.7 min/mile) Max elevation: 668 m (2191 ft) Min elevation: 0 m (0 ft) Elevation gain: 1153 m (3781 ft) Max grade: 165 % Min grade: -151 % Recorded: 26/05/2013 11:30





--------------------------



"Nowhere Near The End Of the Rainbow"
contains information that is non-accurate, made up and in some cases just down right lies. Anything in this blogg may be based on true fiction but to help dramatise it, some items may have been embellished. Some names are made up, others are not and any that are familar to yours just are.



--------------------------











 

NackUK HOME

NOWHERE

 Near The End Of The Rainbow

An account of something that may one day turn out to be wonderful.......