Saturday, August 24, 2013

You should always wear a helmet in the lake district

We all get up in the morning, erm where has the sun gone.

Alan gets sum brew going and we all sit around for breakfast and what we are going to do today. I suggest a walk for Alan and Zoe which I heard was nice, although I had not done it myself yet, and got the map out.

As Alan and Zoe weren’t coming cycling with us today I had to recheck my “Mountain Biking in The Lake District” Guide Book. As they were coming with us originally I changed the route I had planned to do with just my brother, to one that would have been acceptable for their bikes. However as they were not coming now I thought it would be a good opportunity to do one of the two hard routes I read about. But which routes were they?

Route 18 was one of them described as “The Garburn Pass is one of the must-do descents of the Lake District. It has an established reputation as being one of the longest and fiercest descents that can be ridden in the national park. This loop climbs from Troutbeck side to give a white knuckle ride down the Gnarlier, and more infamous, Kentmere side. The fun does not stop there, however, as the route continues into the lovely Longsleddale valley and back again to Kentmere, incorporating a further two classic descents and making this ride a sure-fire favourite.

As luck has it, it is another figure of eight ride so if the weather gets bad or we change our minds half way – there is an escape route.

We drive to Staveley and then up the winding road to Kentmere. Just like the book states at Kentmere there is parking by the church but that is it. And the church spaces were al full. Luckily though a farmer had opened up a small field to allow parking for a honesty £3 in the box. In went 3 pounds and we could not have been better positioned, thanks Mr Farmer.

We get the bikes off the back of the car and my brother advises his rear gears are not working. I thought that's what the guy in the shop had said. Why did you not ask them to fix them along with the front ones? I turn the bike upside down. It is obvious they are not working as the cable is rusted. I undo the cable and not only is it rusted it is also frayed. A snip here, some lube there, some tweaking and there you go. Now get that cable replaced when we get home.

And off we go, well for a short time until my brother realises he hasn’t brought his water bottle. So back to the car we go. Nothing like a warm up.

Not that the warm up was going to help. We pass the church, go down the bridle way and go past high house. From here it is uphill.

Some of rideable up hill.

Some of it not.

Yes some of it was just one long walk. But this meant one thing.

What goes up also must eventually go down.

A pit stop in the middle of nowhere.

Excitedly we go through a ford for a quick splash of another kind.

The path narrows and the fells are ahead for a while

Yep so much easier now we are not going up hill.

More water to splash in

fields to cross.

mud to avoid

And then onto tarmac of sorts.

until we hit a proper road.

Yay we are here near Dubbs Reservoir.

A chapwith some dogs asks if we are going over the top. “We certainly are.” “Good luck to you then your going to need it.”  I look at then incline, thats nothing I can cycle that.

Crikey it goes on ands on.

In some places it shallows out and you can cycle it.

But at least with the climb we are getting some nice views.

And looking down we can see the wooden hut village, only a 100K a throw.

And with that thought we struggle upwards.

Most of it on foot!

Just how much further up does this go one ponders.

Just round that bend.

Oh no perhaps not just round the bend then!

An up and up

It flatteners out at last.

The Garburn pass is here at last. We meet one chap who wants to know the route we are doing as he loves a good cycle ride, and I show him the book. “well its about to get more interesting”

What does he mean more interesting. Not up hill I hope.

We start to head down and at a gate we come across a mountain biker with all the gear on, and all the bike you could ever wish for. He looks at me and says “you need to put your helmet on now mate.” I wasn’t about to get into this argument.

But I soon realised what he meant, the chap before him and what the book says is challenging.

And all I here is so wimpers and screaming. Yep that's my bike but its not me who's come off.

Luckily for some, they are wearing a helmet.

Oh dear not only is his pride broken, but so his is gears once more.

I fix them up so they just about operate and conclude to him that it’s all down hill from here to the half way point with the car so he won’t need them anyway.

Not long though and I’m off my bike to pick my brother back up again. Thankgod he’s wearing a helmet.

Have you ever heard the term get back on your bike.

Try telling my brother. Yep the boulders were awkward but the Chinese Maintenance free bike took it all.

And off I went skipping over the rocks and stones

A real exciting moment

Soon enough we were back a Kentmere and just here as I was taking this photo, my brother came off again. That could only have meant that at some point he had got on his bike again.

Ah so lucky we did this route.

So he gets off his bike, we have a drink, so cobs, just cobs no filling as the only thing in the boot was cobs, oh and some crisps, lots of crisps. Washed down with water. I repairer his broken gears, his not happy with them. Well I wouldn’t adjust them again, They all work just making a chain catching noise. Nope he insists. So I touch them again and there you go bolloxed. And I try again and they are working. That's it it will do, lets get the second half done. What do you mean your too tired. Bum to that get on ya saddle.

We head off eventually. You’ll never guess what. It was up hill.

An up and up and up.

I knew he was okay though as he was moaning!

Looking at the book and sign post I could conclude that because it was up hill it was this way.

No more tarmac brother, you’ll need to put more effort in.

That’s what I like to see, walking and still agony on the face.

No we are not turning back. Look where we have got to and where we are going. Its bound to be downhill from here!

But no it was uphill on grass.

Even the sheep commented, “I think your brothers knackered mate.”

Come on brother.

Look according to the book it is all down hill from here.

So over the brow and we start to head down.

Definitely more like what we want.

What do you mean its too steep. Think yourself lucky your wearing a helmet.

A change of direction and off we go

So excitement in the terrain.

But my brothers n ot feeling the joy.

Look we are here now. There no way back just forward.

Do you know what that saddle is for?

Thats more like it.

We head down the road

and go up this road to the Toms Howe.

Well this is the way according to the map.

And then across this bridleway.

Nack suddenly gets the cramp in one of his legs and is off his bike whimpering too. Luckily it is soft meadow here though.

From here the path shrinks and it becomes somewhat wetter. In fact I cycle right into a bog and the bike sinks right up to the wheel nuts. Luckily I jump off the bike and onto the stone wall! Er my bike is not only very muddy but also very smelly!

After being slightly confused by the directions, which turn out to be right, we just aren't far enough down the road it is time to

get off our bikes and head upwards.

Yeah more never ending upwards.

And it went on, and so did my brother, moaning groaning and telling me how he was so exhausted he couldn’t go on any more.

We did though

Luckily we weren’t alone.

the track changed directions and the path got narrow.

Now rideable we hit the fells

And got some speed.

Thank god he was wearing a helmet, I guess.

I was expecting him to get up anytime soon. This is roughly where he fell off again.

Luckily the path got so much better from this point on.

Nice views. Looks like he’s coming.

Oh we are back to walking are we?

I think the whole idea of mountain biking has actually got something to do with riding a bike.

We do you mean you can’t carry on brother?

Look its down hill. You haven't even got to peddle.

The journey actually got more enjoyable from here.

And I let my brother go first so that we cycled at his pace.

and not all of it was down hill.

Over the hills and far away

the journey was good.

And around here we caught up two girls who were cycling between Staverey and Kentmere. They lived here and it would seem she was having the same problems with her cycling buddy as I was with mine.

The last bit was truly down hill though and that I loved. My brother didn’t though.

Feel the need for some speed.

Get them lungs breathing

and prey the brakes work.

Well are you exhausted?

After he denotes he’s glad to be back at the car,

we put the bikes on and head back. Its about 78pm and I ponder how Alan and Zoe have done?

We arrive back at the camp site to find them relaxing in their arm chairs.

They laugh at me and tell me how they have been back for about 30 minutes. Wow thats some walk you’ve been on then.

Well we cut the walk short and headed down to Pattersdale.

Well that some distance. It is, didn’t you get our text? Erm No.

We ponder briefly what we are going to do for the night and my brother disappears to the showers.

The sun is going down and I suggest we eat and play games in the pub. Yep everyones up for that.

And so we sit in the pub, drink eat and play citadels.

All we really want to do though is go to bed. We are all exhausted.

Ah home comforts. One ponders when I’’ be waking to use the facilities again.

And here is the cycle route we did:

I think you might be interested in this track: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byc59f9q8kVXcUVTR0kwcW5WVDQ/edit?usp=drivesdk Created by Google My Tracks on Android. Name: 24/08/2013 11:24 Activity type: biking Description: - Total distance: 32.46 km (20.2 mi) Total time: 7:05:13 Moving time: 4:22:18 Average speed: 4.58 km/h (2.8 mi/h) Average moving speed: 7.43 km/h (4.6 mi/h) Max speed: 31.71 km/h (19.7 mi/h) Average pace: 13:06 min/km (21:05 min/mi) Average moving pace: 8:05 min/km (13:00 min/mi) Fastest pace: 1:54 min/km (3:03 min/mi) Max elevation: 508 m (1666 ft) Min elevation: 211 m (692 ft) Elevation gain: 980 m (3214 ft) Max grade: 28 % Min grade: -21 % Recorded: 24/08/2013 11:24







--------------------------



"Nowhere Near The End Of the Rainbow"
contains information that is non-accurate, made up and in some cases just down right lies. Anything in this blogg may be based on true fiction but to help dramatise it, some items may have been embellished. Some names are made up, others are not and any that are familar to yours just are.



--------------------------











 

NackUK HOME

NOWHERE

 Near The End Of The Rainbow

An account of something that may one day turn out to be wonderful.......