Saturday, February 07, 2015

Its positively warm

IMG_20150207_061610
I get up, its 5:30 am, in fact I’m lying, it 5:30 and the alarm goes off. My brother asks if I’m getting out of bed. I am, I am lying again, but I am planning on getting out of bed. Well its there, the thought in my head somewhere. Its those first movements that really are the hardest. Its warm and cosy in bed, should I move, will it be worth it? He prods me with a cup of tea, not laterally, that would be messy but with the thought that if I get my ass down stairs there's one down there for me, with milk, and I know this is true as I ensured we brought some in the shop last night. He mutters he’s done me some porridge too, but I can’t remember that now. My brain my have got me dressed, washed and vertical, but it sure wasn’t functioning just yet to say “why are we doing this?”
DSC06528
With our things in the car we head off for the M6, it is dark, my brain may be switched on now and so are the lights of the car. And off we go. Of course, of all the things to forget, my brother pipes up, “did you put my ski boots in the car?” Now I had to ask myself the question “why would I have put his ski boot in the car” And obviously I didn’t have an answer that he wanted to hear. But in my head I could hear the screams “why would I put his ski boots in the car”. My reply of course was “You haven't put your ski boots in the car have you – sigh”. there are moments when you wonder why have I got up early for this? And so we turn around and back down the motorway, to where we have come from. Back on the motorway, to where we are going and we are running at a pace, the road clear, the conditions good, the air dark. A car appears from nowhere on my tail, good I think, I don’t like being the fastest car on the road, someone else who thinks they are at last, and as soon as I pass the car I’m overtaking I move to lane two. Rather surprisingly the car that thinks its faster than me, and is as it passes, is a police car, and inevitably I let him stride pass and back off the gas. They hover in front for sometime, doing there job in a nice manner, I get the picture and I’m happy to not be the fastest motor car on the road.
IMG_20150207_072856
Sometime later it is light and we are moving up the country as if we were in a moving box with four wheels. Progress was good, which you can never tell with the M6.
IMG_20150207_080200
We pull up at Lancaster Services, open our bladders and grab some sandwiches from Marks and Spencer's.
IMG_20150207_080913
We head back to the box with four wheels, two of which are safely connected to a fifth via some mechanical mechanism.
IMG_20150207_075656
We head north to junction 40, the northern turn off for the Lake District and head east instead of taking the immediate route south.
DSC06556
This I thought may work out better, and you know what?
DSC06578
It did. We started enjoying the beauty of the Lake district instantaneously. We follow the road to the coast of Ullswater and then onto Glenridding, and then
DSC06580
follow the Mine Track up the landscape, a battered track which really is not suitable for this kind of vehicle in places, see the video.
DSC06583
We park up and take a leak right here.
Screenshot_2015-02-08-09-53-42
So this is the route, hard to believe that a tri of hours earlier it was dark and we were a million miles away.
DSC06585
We gather our things and prepare for the on slaughter of the walk we are about to undertake.
DSC06584
With my snowboard initially on my back, a full load in my back pack I was ready to go.
DSC06590
My brother of course was not. But I gave him a kick and off he went like a donkey up the hill, puffing and panting, so I knew he was Okay.
DSC06596
The sun was out, the clouds not to be seen above us, and the air was fresh.
DSC06602
You couldn’t ask for it to be more perfect. If anything it was too warm and I had to take my ski jacket off!
DSC06604
As we walk up the path is far easier to follow this time, hell you can see it, there are land marks and we roughly know where we are going, which always helps.
DSC06607
We are joined be another fellow traveler, and one that is friendly. To the point
DSC06608
that he gave me some snow spikes to try. Oddly I’d already ordered some, they just haven't come yet!
DSC06614
And on we went.
DSC06622
My brother would seemingly out pace me, but I’m admiring the beauty that has bestowed itself all-round me.
DSC06625
On wards and upwards, there would be no stopping us today, today we will be up here early.
DSC06632
My oh my though just look at it.
DSC06644
The altitude increases and so does my breathing.
DSC06648
There are now clouds in the distance, one ponders will they chase us?
DSC06651
We march on.
DSC06658
With the occasional stop.
DSC06660
Something's are beautiful
IMG_20150207_131042
something open the mind.
DSC06669
Here the KLF have left us alone.
DSC06671
And we make it to the ski hut. To the warmth, to a small but delightful paradise.
Screenshot_2015-02-08-09-54-45
and so the journey the way we have come, this time I have tracked us.
Screenshot_2015-02-08-09-54-36
Oh nearly two hours? Can that be right? Cam it?
IMG_20150207_112019
Either way we settle in and get ready. For that is why we are here, that is why we got up so early, that is it.
IMG_20150207_113826
I reopen the door, I am ready, I can feel the board on my feet twigging in the direction of the lift, we are off.
IMG_7903139500985
or not as the case may be, as when we reach the lift it has broken and they are trying to fix it.
DSC06678
I sit and watch the commotion, as they all work as a team to fix it.
DSC06680
and soon the announcement is good news.
DSC06685
and so the fun begins.
DSC06694
then endless fun.
DSC06695
We can see where we are going, but there is no actual pistes.
DSC06698
You make it up and head back to the lift,
DSC06703
things could be nice, things could be French, but this is what life has dealt and this is what I’m going to enjoy.
DSC06715
And this is an adventure. The Way Out West.
DSC06717
More boarders join us which is helpful
DSC06723
as the tow is a right pain, but the more boarders who go up the easier the track up the tow gets.
DSC06727
Of course, occasionally you have to take a break, sum it up and absorb it all, every bit of it.
DSC06730
And then go to the ski hut and have dinner, well when I say dinner I mean
IMG_20150207_132833
a pot noodle. I know but it was light to take up. The water to make it though wasn’t!
DSC06732
With a warm nourishing meal inside me and my brother we were ready for some more funtime.
DSC06735
I change my goggles to my low light Scotts as the sun as gone over the mountain and well with these it was like it hadn’t.
DSC06740
and so off we played.
DSC06751
I’d like to say its like the real thing up here and guess in England its as close as your going to get.
DSC06760
Fun for a while, but here I’d like to say, its as cold as most people think a ski holiday would be, but isn’t when your closer to the med and closer still to the sun. Here though it is cold, cold like British cold.
DSC06761
Its time to pack up. I’m tired, exhausted, I’ve thrusted my body as much as I can at the extremes of England. And I still need some time to get back down the mountain.
DSC06764
We enter the warmth of the ski hut and prepare.
DSC06765
We prepare for the walk down.
DSC06768
We say goodbye to the friendly folk, the folk who appreciate only the truly devoted make it here, the like minded, the insane?
DSC06769
And so we start with gravity on our side.
DSC06771
A new way down, the low path down, the path you can’t see.
DSC06776
But down it is.
DSC06773
That is the way, I can smell it, or is that my feet.
DSC06781
Yep its my feet. At least they are warm.
DSC06784
I’d like to say I know where we are going. But all I know is it’s that way.
DSC06785
In the distance that person seems to know the way.
DSC06788
but as we stride on through the soft crunch heather
DSC06792
They disappear.
DSC06794
The end is in sight though
DSC06801
and so we plough on.
DSC06803
I’m getting really tired now. One foot in front of the other, and then again, and again.
DSC06804
And I’d like to say, before you knew it we were back, but it wasn’t that quick, it was a right slog.
Screenshot_2015-02-08-09-54-24
So on the way down this was the route we took.
Screenshot_2015-02-08-09-55-04
And we did it quicker, thanks to gravity.
DSC06805
At the car park we meet up again with the chap who lent me the walking spikes, and as it was his first time he’d parked in Glenridding. I offered to give him and his ski a lift down the old mine track and he agreed. I mean who wouldn't.
DSC06806
As we bounded slowly over the bumps down the track the chap enlightened at the pub. I got his skis out and looked at my tyres, bum it looks like the one is flat. I hoped it had deflated from being knocked on a rock, At the bottom I pull up, get the air compressor out of the bonnet and try to blow it up. But as my brother told me it actually went down further. Bum I’ll have to change the wheel, at least those marigolds I made my brother put in the basket came in handy. I swap the wheel over and I’m ready for the off, the sprint home, for I’m to collect Northy at 7:30 and be round Poades, in Brum by 8pm.
DSC06821
We take the Kirkstone pass and the way home, and a wonderfully beautiful drive it was too,
DSC06834
I’m sure Matt would have been pleased with me enjoying the view, as we left the Lake District the phone got a signal and Northy had texted me, great, why do people always text me when they know I will be driving? The road was clear and before you knew it
Screenshot_2015-02-08-09-55-55
I was back in Stafford dropping my brother off.
Screenshot_2015-02-08-09-56-04
It had taken a while, yet it passed so quickly, I have a moment to read the text from Northy, something about being tired and giving it a miss. Tired? He knew nothing of being tired. My legs are tired my lungs, my body.
DSC06836
Still though I turn up and meat my friend Matt, we walk into Harborn, well no further harm can be done to my legs. We go tot he junction, I get served very quickly in the very very crowded bar, and then sit in the beer garden. Matt thinks I’m mad, Matt pulls his coat tight, me I’m positively warm, like a summers day, we talk of my adventure of the day, and he tells me to drink up and so I do. We move from the Junction to the Plough, another very very busy pub. We find our space next to the bar, up the corner, in the ay of the bar staff,. The beers go to my head so quickly, and eventually it is my turn to buy another round, I get the barmaid to turn all the signs around so I can see them, I order some beers, I think I order two, I’m sure I do, but only one gets served. After I get him a beer, something he makes a thing about we leave, but he won’t go for a Chinese, something he so likes, he is desperate for some reason to go for a curry, he will take me to our favorite curry house in Harborn, This he is happy about. Very happy.
DSC06835
We order and the food comes, the spicy food you get here, and I don’t order my usual things, I go wild and order some random things for a change.
DSC06837
The nans though, they are plain, they are nice, they are a delight.
DSC06838
And the meal is good, is nice, is exceptional and my friend Matt,
DSC06840
he is tired too, for really he is not well, but he stayed out with me, and that was nice that was good, that made me happy. His company I have enjoyed and the night has gone so quickly.
DSC06841
As Matt disappears and I pay the bill, it is time to leave and
DSC06842
oddly when we get back to his house, its not gone 2am for a change. Ah that bed looks so comfy.




--------------------------



"Nowhere Near The End Of the Rainbow"
contains information that is non-accurate, made up and in some cases just down right lies. Anything in this blogg may be based on true fiction but to help dramatise it, some items may have been embellished. Some names are made up, others are not and any that are familar to yours just are.



--------------------------











 

NackUK HOME

NOWHERE

 Near The End Of The Rainbow

An account of something that may one day turn out to be wonderful.......