Saturday, July 08, 2017

So Very Remote

DSC01173

I get up, early, well the sun is out, do I go where I looked up last night or do I not and do something around here. I go into my wardrobe and get my backpack. I put the washing in the machine and turn it on, and get some breakfast. I also make some sandwiches. Cheese sandwiches with plenty of salad. I wrap them in foil, they always taste better when wrapped in foil.

Screenshot_20170708-193318

Do I really go to here? I could get to Tenby just as quick.

DSC_5269

I decide to ignore Google, after all it would never ever agree to do the Abergwersyn Pass. and I also decide to go via Much Wein Lock.

DSC_5159

So the car is packed. and I’m ready, its time to find a tree to climb, I note we need fuel, I’ll get some over at Telford I think.

DSC01174

I so I hit the open road, I cruise the M54 until Telford and then head towards Much Wien Lock, at which point I haven't seen a petrol station to this point, and now I’m desperate, as in any petrol station will do desperate, this girl drinks and drinks heavily.  I find one, suddenly, almost instantaneously and with a full tank I head towards the Ludlow Food Center.

DSC01175

We pass it and onto Knighton.

DSC01177

And then head south through the hills.

DSC01180

A long while later I’m pondering just how long this is going to take, but you know what….

DSC01181

I’m here, it’s time to get off the open road and to take right.

DSC01183

This is it then, this is the road to the pass, and onward to nothingness and remoteness

DSC01185

The Duck is looking forward to it.

DSC01187

We are not there yet.

DSC01191

Here we go, the beginning of the pass, from one side of Wales to the other, a more interesting route than the Elan valley, well if your a motorcyclist or an open top car owner.

DSC01192

So this is all about the car, and me driving the car. Nothing else.

DSC01196

Me, the car and some very wonderful scenery.

DSC01197

Being alone in the quiet, the tranquillity of the sounds of the exhaust burbling away,

DSC01198

The smell of the plants, the slow single track road, the sheep, I look around just in case, are the KLF here, is there an ice-cream van near by?

DSC01201

There is no rush, not to where we are going, but for a second

DSC01203

I pull up.

DSC01209

I take time to get a photo by the sign for Abergwesyn Common. And then I see it.

DSC01211

Right there next to my car. How did I miss it when driving along side it, how did I miss it when I got out of the car? But from here I can see it quiet clearly.

DSC01213

I walk over to it. Erm a perfect interesting piece. But my it is large. So very large. I try lifting it. I try lifting it again. I ponder will it fit in the boot? Will I be able to lift it to the boot?

DSC01214

I take everything out of the boot, and somehow lift it in. And then put everything on top. Well it fits. I look at the car, it is much, much lower now.

DSC01215

From here it is the open road.

IMG_20170708_235444

There is the occasional classic car around too. We wave, we smile, we are in the same world together, but far apart from normal people right now. That's where we want to be that's where we are.

DSC01223

I cross the river and park up, I get out and wander a while.

DSC01224

She is there sitting patently burbling away.

DSC01226

The road is endless, along with the scenery and its beauty, like a girl you can’t take your eyes off, memorised, totally by the beauty.

DSC01229

We change county.

IMG_20170708_235534

The scenery also changes.

IMG_20170708_235548

Along with the clouds, those fluffy clouds.

DSC01236

So this is the journey, there is no rush to the destination, for the destination, for the journey is what matters right now.

DSC01242

I park up here and there to take it in.

DSC01245

For 22 years old she is doing well still.

DSC01249

So this isn’t quiet as remote as you can get, that is still to come.

DSC01255

And so the journey continues.

DSC01258

The joy.

DSC01261

The happiness of driving my machine away from everyone.

DSC01263

I see the time ticking by, ticking.

DSC01265

And then we are here. Very Remote, Telephone Box and Post Box.

DSC01269

There is a motorcyclist here waiting. Well not waiting, well he is, he is waiting for me, for he is lost. But as I put it to him, you are not lost, there is only forwards or backward to go. He is looking for Teragaron, and he needs to continue forwards. That's where he will meet the rest of his biker chums. That's where they will be having dinner. I get my very detailed map out that shows the remoteness of where we are and where he is trying to get to.

DSC_5170

This is no phone box, it is not even a tardis, it is a tree.

DSC01268

And so it is time to climb back in the travel machine and

Screenshot_20170708-153505

leave the nothingness, the remoteness.

DSC01271

And to start heading towards where I was going,

DSC01276

that direction would be forwards by the way.

DSC01278

Until we leave remoteness and come across

DSC01280

Teragaron and the bikers are all gathered for lunch.

DSC_5183

Mean while Google maps is driving me mad, and making a decision on how to get me out of here. It takes me north, then east and then south down the coast road.

DSC01281

After a lovely drive I’m…

DSC01284

here,

DSC01282

and parked up in a field.

DSC01285

I didn’t expect to be parked in a field, however the road into the village was closed, how did I know it was closed? I didn’t, a man in a fluorescent vest told me it was closed. But I only want to go to the beach I said.

DSC01286

Apparently this place of tranquillity, I’ve driven five and half hours to, has got a music festival set up on the beach. Apparently it’s big. Apparently I’m having second thoughts about this.

DSC01287

As I wander down the street I can hear it ahead of me.

DSC01289

This road is going to be a nightmare to climb.

DSC01291

At the bottom there are marques, two stages and a large food area. There is no KLF van. I head into a shop.

DSC_5185

I get some essentials, 3 post cards, 12 stamps, a spade, and a magnum. You can tell I’m single from my shopping. Sucking and licking my magnum I head on to the beach.

DSC01292

Good the sea is out.

DSC01294

This means I can walk away from this world,

DSC_5187

around the corner to another bay that is adjacent and should be quiet.

DSC01299

I walk past the bays famous rock.

DSC01300

The wonderful sand now between my toes, I’m looking forward to a paddle.

DSC01303

Ice cream gone this is it, the bay is this way.

DSC_5198

Wow look at the rock, the amazing patterns.

DSC_5200

Nearly there.

DSC_5201

Yes this is more like it, quietness apart from the sound of the waves crashing on the sandy shore.

DSC_5203

I look back and wonder how long the sea will be out for?

DSC01306

And then walk across to the other side of the bay.

DSC01308

I mark my spot.

DSC_5211

The view here is good. This is what I came here for.

DSC_5217

I set up camp. The towel is down, the ginger beer out, and hopefully I’ll get to read for a bit.

DSC01319

I can hear the sea calling me.

DSC01323

And so I head in for a paddle at first. Then I get wetter, then I go for a wade up and down the beach, yeah the water and sea bed are mighty fine here.

DSC01329

My neighbours build a sand castle.

DSC01326

Then I decide to build a sand castle. I come across an issue, where by I brought a spade, but no bucket. I think about the design for a moment, what it is I’m going to build? I come up with a plan!

DSC01331

Later a life guard comes over to me, and advises the way out of the bay is about to flood. I look at him and advise I’ve got to finish this first. He tells me the other way out is via the cliff steps, some 200 or so of them. He smiles as he looks at my castle.

DSC_5225

But unlike the castle next to mine, mine is an estate. I wonder what it looks like from the top of the cliff? My neighbour has a chat with me and tells me he can’t believe how quickly I could dig, I tell him I was too embarrassed to ask to borrow the bucket and haven't brought any kids with me, be it mine or my friends. He too likes building castles but laughs and says having kids around is less embarrassing. And with that they pack up and leave.

DSC_5218

As the sea comes in, most people have left.

DSC01332

I stay and read some more.

DSC01335

Their castle slowly disappears.

DSC01334

It’s nearly gone.

DSC_5238

I go for another play in the sea and then relax.

DSC_5239

However there is a point that you know it is time to leave.

DSC01346

I say goodbye to the bay of Cilborth, I’ll be back.

DSC01348

And head up the cliff steps. I slowly wander upwards, step by step.

DSC01353

As I look down over the bay I see my castle there in the distance.

DSC01355

Yeah it worked.

DSC01357

I climb some more.

DSC01359

Higher still, the view is very is beautiful.

DSC01360

And my sandcastle worked even better from this angle.

DSC_5248

I walk along the cliff edge, happy, apart from I never found a stone to take home from here.

DSC01365

I can see the noisy bay in front of me.

DSC01366

The crowds are still there.

DSC01370

Using my zoom I focus on the statue on the opposite cliff. I decide not to walk up to it.

DSC01371

And head down to the main bay.

DSC01374

On the sand once more, and yes I’d like to be in the sea, my shorts are wet anyway.

DSC01375

People play on the rocks

DSC01372

And there is beer flowing all over the beach.

DSC01376

I wander across the bay towards the stones.

DSC01377

See!

DSC01382

I put my bag down, sitting on the stoney side of the beach, I reach into my bag whilst listening to a band playing The Power Of Love, and pull out my dinner. I sit a while, write some cards and then relax.

DSC_5263

For I know I am surrounded by rocks, and I’m probably going to need some help, I spot one. It stands out from the rest and talks to me. Take me home, take me.

DSC01384

Before you know it, it is in my back pack. The backpack is now incredibly heavy.

DSC01385

I start the walk back to the car, thinking will I make it. Its a big walk up hill.

DSC01386

I wander through the crowds that are now multiplying,they must have someone big on tonight,

DSC01388

And up the road. I see a post box and

DSC01387

wiggle the postcards out of my backpack and into the red box.

DSC01389

Nearly there thankgod.

DSC01391

In fact I am here. I drop the backpack off my shoulders thankgod,

DSC_5265

and place the rock on the other rock gently.

DSC01392

Google plots a route and we head north up the coast towards Aberystwyth, stopping for fuel on the way. She is as thirsty as ever.

DSC01395

Google though wants to head east, but I know better, and so continue north.

DSC01393

though Machynlleth

DSC01397

and onto the Welsh Midlands Express Way, to fly to Welshpool and then Shrewsbury and eastward down the M54. The whole way followed by another car, we whizz through the evening air.

DSC01399

I reach home the top still down, a big smile on my face.

DSC01400

This has been a great adventure, I’ve loved every moment of it, this car is ace.

DSC01401

I’ve made good time, I’ve a smile on my face, I’m happy, this has been a tall tree, with a lovely view from the top. A Journey, with a destination to leave, to be at for only a moment, but to enjoy for that moment and to cherish..

IMG_20170709_103347

Perhaps I should have stayed and watched the sunset, perhaps, but then as I slip into the shower I know otherwise……..





--------------------------



"Nowhere Near The End Of the Rainbow"
contains information that is non-accurate, made up and in some cases just down right lies. Anything in this blogg may be based on true fiction but to help dramatise it, some items may have been embellished. Some names are made up, others are not and any that are familar to yours just are.



--------------------------











 

NackUK HOME

NOWHERE

 Near The End Of The Rainbow

An account of something that may one day turn out to be wonderful.......