I’m enjoying Skyrim.
I’m probably enjoying Skyrim too much.
I put it down though and head to my parents house to do some essential maintenance work on the Skoda. According to the MOT anyway. While it passed the MOT advised changing a ball joint gaiter with immediate effect. Will this get rid of the banging sound coming from the suspension, that I was hoping they would fail it on so that I could replace the worn part I cannot locate?
I get the bits out.
Then I learn how to jack the front of the car up. If you take some plastic dimpled covers off there is somewhere to place the jack. You can then put an axle stand under the front suspension arm mounting. Although you should note there are two types of mounting. This one though looks right for this,
And so to the job in hand. A whole load of WD40 and the first one comes undone.
Like the book implies, this will take 30 minutes to do both sides.
Holding the ball with an allen key we finish undoing the nut. Note that the fitting is in fact 12 sidded spline not an allen key.
And it is off.
The top one though.
That is a different matter. This one is sized solid.
And we resort to cutting through the nut. This is slow and tedious due to the access. We get through a number of Dremel blades, the problem though is more the built in washer of the nut. Even with most of the nut gone, it does not want to loose or give up.
2 hours later it is off.
So here is the arm.
Here is the broken gaiter.
And here is the new one from Euro parts. There are some differences.
The Euro car parts one is an allen key, and the balls have shoulders to help you get them off in future.
And so on with the job of putting it on.
Clean up the area.
Looks like this car has had some new front dampers fitted at some point.
It is postioned.
The nylon type nut which came with the new parts is on and torqued up. And then I coat it in copper grease. We may need to get these off again at some point if we are messing with the damper strut.
The same is done with the lower one.
We pack up on this side.
And move to the other side, where by the wheel arch cover needs removing to give better access. Why?
Lots of WD40
And the bottom one is done in preparation.
We use the right tool this time.
Here we go.
Here we go again, 3 tool tips later and the top nut is seized like the other side.
Out with the dremel and two hours later and a lot of frustration, it is off.
The bottom one is also seized so another two hours later and the job is done.
And while I am here I have a look around. It is easier to change the bulbs with the wheel cover off.
And the horn.
I check the bushes I can see.
Nothing looks wrong.
And so the car is lowered.
Good bye old VAG engineered parts.
Goodbye crappy nuts.
And once more she looks her glorious self.
A lovely motor in some ways.
Yes I like it more these days.
And so I pack away and
head home in the Mazda engineered Eunos Roadster. She needs a new rear wheel bearing. She is off to the garage for that though.
I muster the energy to go for an Indian, with some fake Italian beer that is beer with Italian passion – in Edinburgh the label says.
I try something different.
And I order the same.
Then the Nan breads come.
Even the Polish beer is fake, that's not even brewed in Poland. But fake as it may be, it is welcomed..